The story of the birth of the Buddha was known in the West, and some say it may have influenced the story of the birth of Jesus. Saint Jerome (4th century CE) mentions the birth of the Buddha, who he says "was born from the side of a virgin". Also a fragment of Archelaos of Carrha (278 CE) mentions the Buddha's virgin-birth.
Other interesting parallels in the birth stories include:
- The similarity in the sounds of the names of Mary and Maya.
- Both women conceived during a remarkable vision.
- Both women gave birth "outside" of a home.
- Heavenly wonders appeared in the sky.
- Angels announced the newborn as "savior" of the world.
- Sages came to visit the newborn and make prophecies of auspicious careers.